ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Interim Report: Final Comments

  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Interim Report: Final Comments
  • From: Rob Hall <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 23:07:48 +0000

I agree with James modifications. I believe they are fair and accurate.

I have concerns about one part of the document that I find to be factually
confusing.  I have read it a couple of times, and I believe it leaves and
incorrect impression with the reader.

It is in the area of the description of the Redemption Grace Period.   The
document says and implies that the RGP is optional for Registries and
Registrars.    I agree it is optional for Registries, even though I think they
all have implemented it, I don't believe it is fair to portray the RGP as
optional for Registrars.  Registrars have no say or sway as to if a domain
enters the RGP phase after it is deleted.  That is entirely in the control of
the Registry.  A Registrar can not prevent a domain from entering the RGP after
deletion if the Registry has implemented the RGP.

Thinking aloud, I wonder if the point that was trying to be made is that the
Registrar does not have to redeem the domain from RGP if they don't want to
offer that service.  I guess in theory that is possible, although in theory one
could argue that the Registrar could also decide to not offer the service of
renewing domains at all.  Seems kinda silly to point out that a Registrar might
decide to not offer a service in this document, but if that is what was the
purpose, then we should be more clear.

I am concerned that the wording leads people to believe Registrars can prevent
a domain from entering RGP after deletion, or that somehow RGP is in the
control of the Registrar, when it is a Registry Service.

I don't believe that accurately portraying what is possible or not in RGP
should be a matter of contention.

Can we perhaps fix this before the document is published ?

Rob.