ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposal regarding Guaranteed renewal period and blackout

  • To: MICHAEL YOUNG <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposal regarding Guaranteed renewal period and blackout
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:57:11 -0500

Michael, answers embedded.

At 20/01/2011 04:02 PM, MICHAEL YOUNG wrote:
Ok thanks for the prompt reply Alan, so let me see if I understand this correctly with a little walk through here.

One recommendation is to ensure the domain is retrievable by the registrant for 10 days after expiry.

For at least 10 days.

Another recommendation is to ensure the that "if" the domain is darkened during the auto-renew grace period, it must be retrievable by the registrant for 8 days after darkening.

Although not critical here, note that the proposal does not refer to the ARGP, but simply post-expiration.

If I were a registrar then, and my practise was to "darken" the domain sometime after expiry but before deletion, then to comply with both of these recommendations I would have to "darken" the domain by the end of the second day following expiration, to darken it later would violate one of these recommendations.

No, to darken it later is fine. But that pushes out the 10 day period. So if you choose to give 30 days of continued operation and then darken, you cannot irrevocably sell the domain to someone else before day 38.

Perhaps in an effort to make it short, I lost clarity. Here is another version.

a) The domain must be guaranteed renewable for at least 10 days.
b) Before it can be lost (ie not renewable by the RAE), it must be darkened for 8 days first.
c) Notwithstanding a) and b), the registrar can delete at any time.

The intent is to always give a registrant a go-dark warning before the domain is no longer renewable. The typical scenario today where the registrar blackens the domain somewhere in the first 5 days and allows the RAE to renew until day 30-40 meets the requirements. As would darkening on day 2 and irrevocably selling on day 11. And the registrar (one of those surveyed) who darkens on day 21 and allows renewals until day 35.

The behavior that it does not allow is darkening on day 11 and simultaneously making it no longer renewable under the published terms.

Is that any better?

Alan

Was that really the intention, to drive that type of behaviour? From the statistics I have seen, I am not seeing any obvious benefit that will assist a typical registrant by forcing darkening practises to be initiated the second day after expiration,???..

Am I missing another element here?

Thanks

Michael