ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposal regarding Guaranteed renewal period and blackout

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposal regarding Guaranteed renewal period and blackout
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 00:20:46 +0000

Alan

I'm trying to follow this and failing

One of the stated goals with this WG was to give users predictability. I don't
see how this is being achieved.

Your proposal seems to  only give that on a per registrar basis ie. if the
domain is with registrar A and they've adopted method X then Y will happen

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you could end up with a situation
where the post-expiry behaviour would vary across registrars AND be set in
policy?

Or am I missing something?

As I said, I'm having difficulty following this

Regards

Michele

On 20 Jan 2011, at 23:57, Alan Greenberg wrote:

> Michael, answers embedded.
>
> At 20/01/2011 04:02 PM, MICHAEL YOUNG wrote:
>> Ok thanks for the prompt reply Alan, so let me see if I understand this
>> correctly with a little walk through here.
>>
>> One recommendation is to ensure the domain is retrievable by the registrant
>> for 10 days after expiry.
>
> For at least 10 days.
>

>> Another recommendation is to ensure the that "if" the domain is darkened
>> during the auto-renew grace period, it must be retrievable by the registrant
>> for 8 days after darkening.
>
> Although not critical here, note that the proposal does not refer to the
> ARGP, but simply post-expiration.
>

>> If I were a registrar then, and my practise was to "darken" the domain
>> sometime after expiry but before deletion, then to comply with both of these
>> recommendations I would have to "darken" the domain by the end of the second
>> day following expiration, to darken it later would violate one of these
>> recommendations.
>
> No, to darken it later is fine. But that pushes out the 10 day period. So if
> you choose to give 30 days of continued operation and then darken, you cannot
> irrevocably sell the domain to someone else before day 38.
>
> Perhaps in an effort to make it short, I lost clarity. Here is another
> version.
>
> a) The domain must be guaranteed renewable for at least 10 days.
> b) Before it can be lost (ie not renewable by the RAE), it must be darkened
> for 8 days first.
> c) Notwithstanding a) and b), the registrar can delete at any time.
>
> The intent is to always give a registrant a go-dark warning before the domain
> is no longer renewable. The typical scenario today where the registrar
> blackens the domain somewhere in the first 5 days and allows the RAE to renew
> until day 30-40 meets the requirements. As would darkening on day 2 and
> irrevocably selling on day 11. And the registrar (one of those surveyed) who
> darkens on day 21 and allows renewals until day 35.
>
> The behavior that it does not allow is darkening on day 11 and simultaneously
> making it no longer renewable under the published terms.
>
> Is that any better?
>
> Alan
>

>> Was that really the intention, to drive that type of behaviour?  From the
>> statistics I have seen, I am not seeing any obvious benefit that will assist
>> a typical registrant by forcing darkening practises to be initiated the
>> second day after expiration,.....
>>
>> Am I missing another element here?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michael