ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 07:43:39 -0500

right, Chuck.  my concern is that the Board creates an incorrect option for
policy-making -- something along the lines of "we need a decision quickly,
let's ask the Council to opine on this urgent policy matter *instead* of the
GNSO" and then the Council makes the mistake of accepting an assignment that is
outside their role.

to Wolf-Urich's point, i think the WG can gently touch this issue during it's
work, and remind the Council of the boundaries of its authority, without
getting terribly derailed.  that's why i like Chuck's refinement of the
language.  the WG is going to be focused primarily on the (broader) GNSO.  but
on this particular topic, i think we want some thought and clarification on the
role of the Council.

mikey