ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Proposed Working Group Team Charter

  • To: Working Group <gnso-ppsc-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Proposed Working Group Team Charter
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:05:56 -0600

<grin>

OK, OK fair enough...

here's an absolute hack-job, Mike's-on-vacation-in-the-middle-of-nowhere, first-draft charter that we could use to describe the work that's coming. i have absolutely no editorial pride in this, but it might serve as a framework that we could use to get ourselves to a charter for the first part of our work.

i am basically punting the "real" detailed chartering work into the first-phase of a multi-phase effort -- so that we can move quickly into the real work but still give ourselves a bit of structure right away. i don't have strong opinions about this approach, it's just a technique i've used in the past when groups are venturing into unknown territory but still need *some* kind of a framework for their work.

i've lifted the phases out of systems development methodology -- no strong opinions here either, just the best fit out of the toolbag. we could use Quality methods, or Process Improvement methods equally well. the one thing i *will* lobby for is the notion that we do this in phases rather than trying to chew the whole thing at once. early phases? ask people their opinion and figure out what needs doing. later phases? describe the solution and a path to implementing it. final phase? institute a process to monitor how things work and make improvements as needed.

Scott, i've dragged all of the text out of your draft and tried to slot it into this one. if you think it's misplaced, by all means change it.

again -- no pride of authorship here, but hopefully this will give us the start of a document we can quickly take back to the PPSC and get approval to proceed. there's probably stuff missing. all of us should feel free to add/change away.

gotta scoot -- Marcie's casting evil glances my way, wondering why we aren't getting out to our planned nature hike.