ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Your feedback requested: Section 2.1.4.1 Introductions

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Your feedback requested: Section 2.1.4.1 Introductions
  • From: "S. Subbiah" <subbiah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:16:11 -0700

For now I think we should postpone the question - "Will there be secret meetings at all " to the con call.

However if we had a secret meeting , i guess it could involve security and DNS etc as one of the candidates...the requirment should be a very high threshold of WG members - 90% say. Of course I assume the Board of Directors of ICANN can push down a secret meeting and authorise but I do not think we should have the CO (in this case GNSO etc) have the right to independently force a secret meeting without either top Board approval or a high threshold bottom-led (from WG) request that gets endorsed by the top Board. Bascially all secret meetings should be approved by Top Board. It can be requested by bottom-led majority. That's my take. And in such cases - presumably a case-by-case - rare basis, the WG guidleine should include a requirement that the WG will ONLY begin its work after the top Board sets clear rules specifically for the particular WG of when and what can be publicly posted/communicated during and after the WG does its work.

Again my two cents.

Subbiah

Marika Konings wrote:

*From the GNSO Working Group Guidelines

2.1.4.1      *Introductions

For team-building purposes, to understand its resources and capabilities and, potentially, to help with prospective assignments, members of the Working Group should be provided with the opportunity, at the start of the first meeting, to share information regarding interests, background, skills, experience, especially as related to any requirements in the Charter,

Members of the Working Group should be informed that all GNSO Working Groups are expected to operate under the principles of transparency and openness, which means, /inter alia/, that mailing lists are publicly archived, meetings are normally recorded and/or transcribed, and SOIs are required from Working Group participants which will be publicly posted.

/Comment

GD: Section 2.1.4.1 establishes instructions for the initial meeting of the working group, and emphasizes the ICANN principles of transparency and openness with regard to working group meetings, deliberations, and documents. However, does the PPSC WG-WT envision any exceptional scenarios in which the working group would desire confidentiality? There may be value in this, especially if the subject matter involves DNS security and stability vulnerabilities. Should the PPSC WG-WT consider an exception to the transparency requirement, it should set a high threshold for making such a request, and establish a clear process for disclosing the final output of any closed deliberations./