ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] RE: [gnso-ppsc] question of conflict of interest

• To: "gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] RE: [gnso-ppsc] question of conflict of interest
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:58:50 -0500

I support what Marilyn has said.

Regarding replaceable people, I am quite sure that Jeff could be replaced with someone who is capable and diligent. But given his involvement to date, the vast base of knowledge he has, and his level of dedication, I see no reason to do this.

I find this initiative all the stranger as Jeff will now be seated on Council by the RySG, a group that generally directs the vote of their Councillors.

Alan

At 09/12/2010 08:04 AM, Marilyn Cade wrote:
I am disappointed at the tone of this initiative. I have two thoughts on this after also listening to efforts by some on the Council to lessen the declaration of interests. I dont believe that the board members who chair committees are expected to be silent during board deliberations on a committee report.

and the second thought: I am not aware of support from the broader community to strip councilors of their ability to participate outside of Council on working activities of this nature, and I would find that regretable, should it happen. I also do not think that -- generally -- a sitting councilor will have a lot of spare time. :-) HOWEVER, this is a transitional period as one party comes into being on the Council, and has a sitting role on a working group regarding restructuring work. That group is completing its work. It seems strange, and unnecessary to make this forced change.

I do not support it, and find it unnecessary, and in fact, I do have concerns about making a change.

Marilyn Cade

> Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] RE: [gnso-ppsc] question of conflict of interest
> From: avri@xxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 07:45:37 -0500
> CC: gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx
> To: gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx
>
>
> PS.
>
> I would like to point out, speaking of Chuck stepping down from the OSC.
>
> I understand that soon Chuck will no longer have that conflict of interest and spoke of having a lot of free time on his hands.
>
> He also knows a lot about how PDPs work and don't work after his recent stint as a GNSO Council member and chair.
>
> He has been tracking the group's work as chair and is pretty much up to speed.
>
> He has recently shown with the Rec6 that he knows how to get a group to work quickly.
>
> And coincidentally he was also a RySG member so there would not be change in the balance of power.
>
> And even more conveniently, he was also against the motion I supported to close the PPSC and OSC.
>
> So a change could be made if Jeff stepped down that would in most probability not affect the work of the PPSc in any deleterious manner.
>
> a.
>
>
> On 9 Dec 2010, at 07:24, Avri Doria wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > On 9 Dec 2010, at 07:08, Neuman, Jeff wrote:
> >
> >> I am going to refer this question to the icann staff. I do not share her view that simply serving as the chair of the group should silence me during any council discussions. That would be a first. Avri was never silent in the Council discussions with any of the groups she chaired. Neither is/was Olga, edmon, chuck, Alan and countless other councillors silent on any of topics at the Council level for groups that they chaired. I also want to note that Avri was given plenty of air time at the Council meeting yesterday on defending the work of her groups, one of which she chaired. Perhaps that too was improper? Also Avri's constant instant messaging to the NCSG reps during the entire Council meeting also would be suspect and in my opinion constitutes "participation" in the discussions and would have to be banned on the topics/groups she chairs.
> >>
> >> If I have to recuse myself from a vote, that would also be a first (given the above groups), but I would be happy to get an opinion from staff on that as well.
> >
> >> I have to state for the record that the timing of this request is more than suspect and comes less than an hour after a motion that she wanted did not want passed unanimously.
> >
> > My concern comes not from whether the motion was passed or not, but the way in which you acted while the motion was being discussed. Lots of things I disagree with are done by council members, so your accusations are unwarranted. But your accusations do represent the kind of problems you see when there is a conflict of interest. Now that you are on the council, and its leadership team, you need to hold yourself to a higher standard.
> >
> > Also this is more related to the new methods of behavior that are being established in this new managerial council and the ideas about the way to run working groups, then it is on the history of the old council.
> >
> > Also Alan does not have a vote in the council. Chuck stepped down as chair of the OSC when a similar issue was brought up last year, that is why Philip is now the char of the OSC. In regards to Olga, she is not chairing a Standing Committee, but had I been paying attention to her WT I may have had similar remarks - though the identity of WT as just subgroups in the SC might have some effect on the subject. In the PDP WT however, the decisions was for the chair of the PPSC to al chair the Wt, while the alternate chair covers the WG WT. Thus chairing the PDP Wt is a function of you being chair of the PPSC.
> >
> > I just do not believe that having SCs or WGs by council members, especially its leadership team is an accountable process and believe that it cause conflicts of interests. There needs to be a separation between the managers and those who are managed for there to be accountability.
> >
> > a.
> >
> >
> >
>
>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy