ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-b]

[gnso-raa-b] RE: RAA: topics in category #8: resellers

  • To: <gnso-raa-b@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-raa-b] RE: RAA: topics in category #8: resellers
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:11:55 -0800

> RAA subteam B participants:
>
> As discussed on our most recent call, in order to move our work
> forward, it was recommended that we launch discussion of some of the
> remaining categories in the compiled list of RAA amendment topics.  (I
> am using the revised chart, posted earlier today and dated today,
> December 30.)
>
> According to my notes, we have discussed topics 1-4 in our previous
> call. On topic 5 -- compliance -- I have, by a message posted earlier
> today, asked staff to provide their views on our next call on Tuesday,
> Jan. 5.  I have posted messages regarding topics 6 and 7.
>
> Here are some views put forward to get the discussion started on topic
> #8, recognizing that our role at this stage is primarily to organize
> and prioritize the topics proposed, rather than to delve too deeply
> into the details of the proposals made.  (This does not preclude us
> from deciding, if we can, that one or another topic is simply out of
> scope or not appropriate for consideration with regard to RAA
> amendments.)

RE:  Topics in category #8
Category 8 items all deal with resellers.
I suggest that item 8.4 (reseller obligations with respect to
proxy/privacy services) should be reviewed under topic 6 (proxy/privacy
services).
With that excision, it strikes me that most other items in this category
may be appropriate for "high priority" treatment.  These include:
8.1:  Registrar guarantees for reseller fulfillment of RAA obligations.

8.2 and 8.3:  Disclosures by or about resellers.
8.5:  Termination of reseller for breach of RAA obligations
However re 8.6:  Due diligence on resellers:  This may be a longer term
issue, given the number of resellers and the enhanced due diligence
being proposed for registrars.
Reactions?
Steve Metalitz