ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-b]

Re: [gnso-raa-b] RAA: topics in category #6: proxy/privacy registration services

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-raa-b] RAA: topics in category #6: proxy/privacy registration services
  • From: Holly Raiche <h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:12:18 +1100

Hi Steven (and Everyone)

First, a recommendation that we start with ICANN's study on 'the prevalence of Domain Names Registered using a privacy or proxy server among the top 5 gTLDs'. This document really just outlines the work they will do in future on the study, but sets out definitions we should use for this topic:

A privacy service provider offers the registrant an opportunity to register a domain name while concealing some personal identifying information listed in a WHOIS directory, such as his or her address, telephone number, or email address, by providing alternate contact information, often that of the privacy service provider. A proxy service provider registers the domain name on the registrant’s behalf and then licenses the use of the domain name to the registrant. The contact information in a WHOIS directory for a domain name registered with a proxy service is that of the proxy service provider.

Next, the preliminary findings are that around 25% of domain names use a privacy or proxy service provider.

My other comments are interspersed:

Kind regards

Holly Raiche
Executive Director,
Internet Society of Australia (ISOC-AU)
ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mob: 0412 688 544
Ph: (02) 9436 2149

The Internet is For Everyone

RAA subteam B participants:

As discussed on our most recent call, in order to move our work forward, it was recommended that we launch discussion of some of the remaining categories in the compiled list of RAA amendment topics. (I am using the revised chart, posted earlier today and dated today, December 30.)

According to my notes, we have discussed topics 1-4 in our previous call. On topic 5 -- compliance -- I have, by a message posted earlier today, asked staff to provide their views on our next call on Tuesday, Jan. 5. So this phase will begin with topic #6.

Here are some views put forward to get the discussion started, recognizing that our role at this stage is primarily to organize and prioritize the topics proposed, rather than to delve too deeply into the details of the proposals made. (This does not preclude us from deciding, if we can, that one or another topic is simply out of scope or not appropriate for consideration with regard to RAA amendments.)

RE:  Topics in category #6
This category includes many topics related to proxy/privacy registration services. I suggest that another item belongs here as well: item 8.4, re such services provided by resellers.

Do we want to distinguish between privacy and proxy services, as set out above? There may be a number of legitimate reasons why a registrant may not want personal details made public - which may not be the case with proxy services. Or, alternatively, should we not distinguish between the two?
A number of these items can be grouped in subcategories as follows:
A.  Escrow and data collection/preservation: items 6.1 and 6.7.

B. Obligations/disclosures of registrars regarding services they (or resellers) operate or make available in connection with registration: items 6.2, 6.4, 6.8(B), 8.4.

I would support the mandatory escrow of registrant data, with discussion to follow on circumstances under which such data is revealed. 3.7.7.3 notes the discussion needed on what is meant by actionable harm and malicious conduct - so I agree this will take longer to deal with . Note the amended RAA gives the option of registrar's simply displaying a notice to customers that their data is not being escrowed -which we are now considering changing before it is even fully implemented.
C.  RELAY function of services:  item 6.3.
D.  REVEAL function of services:  item 6.5, 6.6, 6.10.
All these subcategories should be considered as relatively high- priority items. Topics in the following subcategories will take longer to deal with, either because of the volume involved, or because of they represent more fundamental changes in the approach to these services:

E.  Accreditation of services generally: 6.8 and 6.8(A).
F.  Discourage or ban such services: 6.9.

Again, should this refer to both privacy and proxy services, or only privacy services
G.  Allow such registrations only for non-commercial purposes:  6.11.

This would fit with the notion that privacy services to protect an individual's privacy are legitimate. Are there legitimate reasons why a corporate entity may not want their details available?
Please provide your reactions/comments on the list.
Steve Metalitz