ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] revised WHOIS note
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:19:56 +0100

In message <3F4F8917F53D5344889872BDDF2F3D3AA914D2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, at 23:43:34 on Tue, 21 Jul 2009, "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx> writes
One key point to note is that whether there is a link or not between
proxy services and criminal activity, there is certainly a strong
perception in a number of communities that there is a link

My partner runs a charity in the UK which helps victims of online crime. As an example, she's dealing this week with someone who lost $6,000 in a fake-escrow scheme when buying a "car" (it never actually existed of course) from eBay. The scam purports to hold the money, while the scammers "deliver" the car to the buyer, and you inspect it; but obviously it never arrives. I can almost guarantee that frauds such as that which are facilitated via a domain registration will involve a proxy service.

She's this > < close to recommending to the public that they treat proxy registrations with extreme suspicion and never attempt to do business with someone using one.

I have a feeling that legitimate online *commerce* has no legitimate use for such a facility, especially as it's a regulation in the EU (at least) that proper contact details must be supplied by anyone trading online. Again, I know people will often provide fake details, but my conversations with the police indicate that anything is better than nothing, especially if the fake details have to be good enough to convince the registry.
--
Roland Perry