ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] today's meeting summary; schedule

  • To: <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] today's meeting summary; schedule
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:47:59 -0400

Dear RAPWG members:

Thank for today's call.  We will continue to meet each Monday from 14:00 to
15:30 UTC until we are done.

Action items from today's meeting:

1.      Marika: This material from the CBUC's public comment should be added
to the "Scope and Definition" section of the Summary and Analysis of Public
Comments: "The CBUC stated that 'A domain name cannot be used unless it is
registered; therefore any abuse of a registered name is registration abuse.'
"
2.      Today the RAPWG discussed how the registration versus use issue
needs to be called out more prominently in the paper.  This is the policy
question that there is most disagreement about, specifically whether domain
use falls under Consensus Policy. The group will work on text to bring
attention to this issue for the GNSO Council.
3.      Cybersquatting: the report should make clear that Recommendation 1
recommends review of two areas: a) the UDRP policy itself, and b) the
implementation of the UDRP.  The latter includes issues such as consistency
of decisions (for example with gripe sites and reverse-hijacking
accusations), the "case law" or body precedent that has accumulated over the
years (and for example whether the "use" requirement in the Policy is being
set aside), reviewing the past and future performance of dispute resolution
providers, and whether providers should be put under contract to ICANN.  The
RAPWG will review the individual public comments and we'll work on
additional text.
4.      Slamming: Martin and Berry will work on some text.  "Slamming" (t)
is inducing someone to register a domain name by using deceptive practices.
It is separate from but related to fake renewal notices - both may involve
deceptive practices, and might be coming mainly from resellers.  Are
education and awareness the best course of action?

Next week we will finish discussion of the Summary and Analysis of Public
Comments, and then we'll start working through the individual public
comments in the order in which they were received.

All best,

--Greg

Greg Aaron