ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] today's meeting summary; schedule

• To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] today's meeting summary; schedule
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:45:47 -0500

RAP Team,

My apologies for not completing last Monday's call. I have taken on RN and Driving Ms. Daisy duties that conflicted and ultimately forced my drop of the RAP session. I did catch up on the MP3.

Please refer to my comments below from Greg's Meeting Summary.....

Thank you and hear you all tomorrow!

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.infinityportals.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Aaron
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 10:48
To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] today's meeting summary; schedule

Dear RAPWG members:

Thank for today?s call. We will continue to meet each Monday from 14:00 to 15:30 UTC until we are done.

Action items from today?s meeting:

1. Marika: This material from the CBUC?s public comment should be added to the ?Scope and Definition? section of the Summary and Analysis of Public Comments: ?The CBUC stated that ?A domain name cannot be used unless it is registered; therefore any abuse of a registered name is registration abuse.? ?

[BAC] - Thank you Greg for requesting this addition. I also tend to agree with James' comments that this will not be solved here within this WG. This is mostly the reason I structured the CBUC comment to flush this out as a stand-alone recommendation to the GNSO to get it addressed.

2. Today the RAPWG discussed how the registration versus use issue needs to be called out more prominently in the paper. This is the policy question that there is most disagreement about, specifically whether domain use falls under Consensus Policy. The group will work on text to bring attention to this issue for the GNSO Council.

[BAC] - I tend to agree with James' comments that this will not be solved here within this WG. This is mostly the reason I structured the CBUC Position Statement about this issue to flush it out as a stand-alone recommendation to the GNSO to get it addressed. GNSO can climb the chain of command from there.

3. Cybersquatting: the report should make clear that Recommendation 1 recommends review of two areas: a) the UDRP policy itself, and b) the implementation of the UDRP. The latter includes issues such as consistency of decisions (for example with gripe sites and reverse-hijacking accusations), the ?case law? or body precedent that has accumulated over the years (and for example whether the ?use? requirement in the Policy is being set aside), reviewing the past and future performance of dispute resolution providers, and whether providers should be put under contract to ICANN. The RAPWG will review the individual public comments and we?ll work on additional text.

[BAC] - I do agree that the migration of consistency for UDRP Gripe site conclusions be attached to the Cybersquatting/UDRP recommendation. It sounds as though we can acquire a high degree of consensus on this specific topic alone without treading near free speech.

4. Slamming: Martin and Berry will work on some text. ?Slamming? (t) is inducing someone to register a domain name by using deceptive practices. It is separate from but related to fake renewal notices ? both may involve deceptive practices, and might be coming mainly from resellers. Are education and awareness the best course of action?

[BAC] - Done, and ready for review, edits, comments......see my previous email.

Next week we will finish discussion of the Summary and Analysis of Public Comments, and then we?ll start working through the individual public comments in the order in which they were received.

All best,

--Greg

Greg Aaron

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy