ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Diversity issues

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, "Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Diversity issues
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 08:41:20 -0400

I would reject "sectoral diversity" as a legitimate criterion if and when it
leads to 3 North Americans and 3 Europeans representing the CSG on the Council.
That is not diversity.

A robust Commercial Users Constituency, in which Council representatives are
elected by a diverse, truly global collection of organizations and individuals,
should have no trouble having candidates stand from multiple sectors and
geographic regions.

Here's an interesting test question, Philip: do you consider yourself (head of
a trademark/brand lobbying organization) to be part of a different "sector"
than Steve Metalitz (head of a copyright lobbying organization)?