ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label

  • To: "Tan, William" <William.Tan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:01:28 -0500

Hi,

On 9 mar 2007, at 15.18, Tan, William wrote:

Exception to this is permissible for languages with established orthographies and conventions that require the commingled use of multiple scripts. In such cases, visually confusable characters from different scripts will not be allowed to co-exist in a single set of permissible codepoints unless a corresponding policy and character table is clearly defined. (d) All registry policies based on these considerations will be documented and publicly available, including a character table for each permissible set of code points, before the registration of any IDN associated with such an aggregate may be accepted.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I had read that but fixated on the first part that prohibited commingling of scripts. And in the context of talking about prohibiting the comingling of multi-labels names, had just assumed the strong case against commingling within a single label.

It seems that this needs to be discussed in the context of the discussions we are currently having and we need to confirm whether this will even remain possible in the new IDNA that is currently being envisioned. (Section 5 of draft-klensin-idnabis-issues-01.txt) - _not_ that i am arguing that policy should be subject to future protocol development plans, but we should certainly be aware of any possible conflicts between assumptions.

In this discussion we need to separate two arguments:

- would it be possible to resolve existing labels that have this characteristic (i think the answer is probably, but i am not positive)

- would it be possible to register new labels with this characteristic (i think the answer is probably not, but i am not positive)

a.