ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

RE: [gnso-sti] Transfer of domain name to claimant after successful URS

  • To: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO STI <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sti] Transfer of domain name to claimant after successful URS
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:47:34 -0800

One more comment on this or else people will think we are picking on Mike here.

I am not sure that Mike's  statement below on the URS as being a deterrent is
the true purpose of the URS. I believe the goal of the URS is the rapid
suspension of an infringing domain, not as a deterrent.

I also would like to point out that not all infringing domains are malicious
and with a rapid transfer there is no remedy for the original registrant to
correct their error, appeal and have their domains restored. There are many
domains that use a TM term to criticize or comment on certain business
practices and there may be an error by the registrant in placing infringing
material on the website and needs to be corrected. With the rapid transfer as
you propose there is no recourse for these registrants.

Look forward to discussing this in further detail this whole week

Jeff