ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

Re: [gnso-sti] RE: Draft STI Report- Part II

  • To: GNSO STI <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-sti] RE: Draft STI Report- Part II
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:42:40 -0800

NCSG will be sending its detailed comments on this draft to this list shortly from Kathy.

I wanted to make a general comment in the meantime about the use "unanimous consensus" to describe support the URS and "rough consensus" to describe support for the Trademark Clearinghouse in the Report. From NCSG's perspective, the URS should be more accurately characterized as "rough consensus" since NCSG's first preference was not to create one at all, but we agreed to this as a compromise to induce the roll-out of new gtlds. Our support for the URS is contingent upon that understanding, so I'd suggest re-wording the first paragraph of the URS section as follows (changes in blue):

There is a rough consensus among the members of STI that creation of a Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) procedure would be a beneficial rights protection mechanism for inclusion in the New GTLD program. The STI recognizes that the URS could provide trademark holders with a cost effective, expedited process in instances of clear cut instances of trademark abuse, provided that the procedure includes appropriate safeguards to protect registrants who may engage in legitimate uses of domain names. Despite the expedited nature of the URS, staff shall recommend a uniform procedure for and URS Service providers shall provide procedures consistent with fair notice, justice, and due process.

Thanks,
Robin