ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 22:31:01 +0100

Equal access is a prerequisite in the new gTLD program. Are you suggesting we
revisit this? If so, I think that's way out of scope of this group.

So if equal access is a given (i.e. a registry must treat all registrars
indiscriminately), why should an analysis of VI cover anything beyond the
possibility that one of the registrars is actually the registry (which doesn't
preclude said registry from providing equal access to the other registrars)?

The only case that I can think of right now where equal access may not be a
given, i.e. where a registry is its own registrar and doesn't service other
registrars in the same way, is corporate or single-owner TLDs which are
operated on such a narrow focus (registrants can only be employees of the
corporation for example) that it cannot hope to attract many registrars to its
TLD and therefore would be prevented from being able to operate a viable TLD by
an equal access rule.

Apologies if I am still missing your point.

Stéphane