ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Key dates for our group

  • To: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>, Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Key dates for our group
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:18:22 -0500

OK, since the so-called Wiki is just a private document that no one can change,
here are some comments the old-fashioned way.

1. The definition of CO is not even close to what was agreed on the list. Here
is an alternate definition that I know Jeff and I agreed on and I think
Stephane agreed with after deleting the sentence referring to VI:

"Cross ownership" is defined as the ownership of a controlling share of a
registry by a registrar, or vice-versa, while maintaining the contractual and
functional separation and equal access arrangements required by ICANN policies
and contracts.

2. The second objective is badly phrased:

"Objective 2: Does the recommendation made in DAGv3 meet the criteria of that
clear direction. If not, make recommendations on how those criteria can be met."

There are two things wrong with this. Language-wise, what "criteria" are being
referred to here?  The prior objective does not use the term "criteria" but
rather calls for "policies and procedures." So the phrase "the criteria of that
clear direction has no referent. Second, we seem to be opening the door to have
the WG redraft the DAG.

I strongly believe that the second objective needs to be rephrased completely
along these lines:

"Objective 2: Determine whether the cross-ownership and joint marketing
arrangements contemplated by the DAGv3 recommendations are allowable under
current policy."

--MM