ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Key dates for our group

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Key dates for our group
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 02:36:55 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx]
> If we wait to submit on 28 Feb instead of submitting this Thursday, then
> we do not get approved until Nairobi, which means we will have spent 6/16
> weeks on chartering activities.
> Do we really need to spend 37.5% of the allotted time on a charter?

But many people have warned that 16 weeks was unrealistic to begin with. A 
better question is what we achieve exactly by adhering to an artificial 
deadline. I am aware that some people may have an interest in delay, I am not 
one of them and I share those concerns, but:

a) the chartering discussions have brought out many clarifications that I think 
will actually speed the work. 

b) missing the Feb 28 meeting means a delay of what, a month? Since the new 
gTLD round does not seem to be pending I am not sure what the cost of this 
delay is. 

I would rather have a well-settled, well-drafted and fully agreed charter than 
risk those things by rushing to meet a deadline that seems to not have much 


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy