ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:34:43 -0400

Jeff,

Existing registries already enjoy an enormous advantage over new gTLDs, from a
number of perspectives.

- First mover advantage, which  has grown ever larger as the new gTLD process
drags on.  This is not due to existing registries' superior business acumen,
but to the luck of the draw (just ask those who have applied for TLDs in every
round, but have been denied).  This advantage is real and unfair.
- Second, a much lighter regulatory burden, which is likely to become
(relatively) even lighter as ICANN ties additional millstones to the feet of
new gTLDs.
- Third, a structural advantage within ICANN by virtue of constituency
representation, while new gTLD applicants have none.

A perpetuation and hardening of unfair advantages to existing registries is not
the "only conceivable baseline."

Antony