ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:22:25 -0400

I have to agree with Anthony here. It is unproductive to drag the GAC into our
deliberations in this way. The GAC has had since 2006 to provide its policy
advice to the ICANN Board, and it developed a set of principles for new gTLDs
which was fully - some might say over-fully - taken into account during the
development of the new gTLD policy process. As a matter of fact, as I have
argued elsewhere, as representatives of _national_ governments the GAC has no
special right to make _global_ policy for the global internet - national govts
are just another interest group and that is why GAC is confined to an advisory
capacity and why govts are not allowed on the board. Moreover, it has no
authority to negotiate binding treaties and its pronouncements need not be
ratified or even reviewed by national elected legislatures, so the GAC has a
bit of a democratic deficit to contend with. In ICANN's structure, the GNSO is
the primary policy making body for new gTLDs - and policy for new gTLDs is
public policy - global public policy. We are free to listen to the GAC's advice
and in many cases it is good advice. We should be especially mindful of GAC
advice when it comes to matters such as antitrust law or conformity to
legitimate, negotiated international treaties such as WTO trade agreements,
where they do have authority. And if national governments really want to
participate in these deliberations in a constructive way, they can and should
get people into this WG and contribute on the same status as the rest of us,
rather than issuing pronouncements from their silo.

--MM

But according to you I am mistaken: we are actually acting in response to the
GAC Communique, or rather, to your interpretation of what it means.  And if we
don't like your questionnaire, then you will ask the co-chairs to report us to
the GAC.