ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: "'Milton L Mueller'" <mueller@xxxxxxx>, "'Antony Van Couvering'" <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Michael D. Palage'" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: "Brian Cute" <briancute@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:26:21 -0400

Milton,

This is ground that you have covered for quite some time but I believe you
are overstating and understating a couple of key points.  First, calling
GNSO developed policy for newTLDs "global public policy" is an
overstatement.  Like it or not, if a GSNSO developed policy ran afoul of
established national laws, any country would have the sovereign right to
prohibit its citizens from complying.  Not a happy state of affairs but a
reality we all recognize which is why we all strive to keep the Internet
(DNS) from being Balkanized.  Second, you note that the Working Group should
be mindful of GAC advice "when it comes to matters such as antitrust law or
conformity to legitimate, negotiated international treaties such as WTO
trade agreements, where they do have authority."  This is a narrow scope as
you say nothing about consumer protection or intellectual property.  The
Affirmation of Commitments recognizes "the role of the GAC with respect to
ICANN decision-making and execution of tasks and of the effective
consideration by ICANN of GAC input on the public policy aspects of the
technical coordination of the Internet DNS."

Also, you know quite well that for reasons of sovereignty, most countries
will not participate directly in a Working Group of a private,
not-for-profit entity such as ICANN.

Michael, raises an important point, if the GAC Communique stated that the
single registrant TLD model should be explore futher, then we should take
due notice of that and not disregard it.  Thankfully it appears the
discussion is already taking place on that point.

Brian