ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Work-planning

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Work-planning
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:48:01 -0400

I agree with Richard that we may be able to get there by Brussels if no
dramatic changes are recommended to the existing policies, but disagree with
the implication that we do not have to comply with the PDP process.  We must
follow the PDP process that is set forth in the Bylaws as part of this Working
Group.  Yes it is true that in the past we have extended deadlines because the
PDP timelines in those cases seemed too short.  However, we have never skipped
steps and we cannot begin to do so now.

Although some hopeful registry applicants may want to do skip steps here
because their sole interest is going as fast as possible to get this PDP done
and incorporated in the new gTLD process, I would ask that each one of them
take a step back and think about the bad precedent we would be setting in the
long term in skipping vital elements of the PDP.  Contracted parties agree with
ICANN that for topics within the picket fence, we allow for unilateral
amendments by the community provided it goes through the PDP process.  If we
apply shortcuts here, what's to stop someone from using this precedent to
establish short cuts in the future when you all are contracted parties and have
to abide by the results of the PDPs.  We cannot short cut the process here and
set that awful precedent just because of the new gTLD process.

This is what I have communicated to the leadership of this group and I am glad
that they have listened and reflected that in their plan.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.