ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Jointly Submitted Survey Concept

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Jointly Submitted Survey Concept
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:57:41 +0200

Michael, Avri, Milton,

The DNS is a mapping between identifiers and resources, resources of
the form of 32 bit identifiers or 128 bit identifiers, ipv4 and ipv6
addresses, respectively.

It is not a mapping between identifiers and other resources, such as
any of:
AMEX_IDs, COMSAST_IDs, FACEBOOK_IDs, iTune_IDs, google_IDs, RIM_ITs,
... any of which may be 32bit, or 128bit, identifiers, but not end
point identifiers in the ipv4 or ipv6 network architectures.

But I think your real point is non-transferability, that is, the
registry allows the creation of a name which can only cease to exist
if the name and some external-to-the-DNS relationship terminates.

Restated, as a registry service, a market in names may exist, but it
is only through the agency of the registry.

The longer I look at these 13 particular examples the less difference
I see in them, or their illuminative value on any of the issues at hand.

Eric