ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: "ext Richard Tindal" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "Van Couvering Antony" <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: "Mustala, Tero (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <tero.mustala@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:52:56 +0200

Richard,

I just want to comment your higher-level question: The fact that companies are
not advocating the possibilities for new TLDs does not necessarily mean, that
nobody would be seriously considering it. For commercial companies the
arguments to consider applying for a "Brand TLD" may often be related to the
value of the brand. Either to increase the value with own TLD or in a
preventive plan just to ensure, that nobody else would get the TLD of identical
string with the brand.

In both cases it would not be wise to publish the interest or intentions in too
early phase, especially as the schedule for these new TLDs has been open for
long time and still is. Such actions would just increase the risk to
speculative applications leading to costly auctions. The cost related to new
TLDs are already high enough without any possible auctions. So lack of public
announcements does not necessarily equal to lack of interest.

with best regards

Tero

Tero Mustala
Principal Consultant,