ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:57:08 +0000

On 27 Mar 2010, at 16:43, Neuman, Jeff wrote:

> It is precisely my position, that (1) new TLDs in the future may not need
> some of the "consumer protections" that registrars like to allege are in the
> RAA because they would not be applicable; and (2) there are no protections in
> the RAA that could not be put directly into a registry agreement for those
> registries in the future that do not need or want to use ICANN -accredited
> registrars.
>
> Let me give you an example, which I will state is NOT one that I know is
> applying for a TLD in this round, but is a potential TLD based on actual
> services offered today in the marketplace.  I have also extremely dummied
> this down for myself and for others.  There are a number of companies that
> offer what is known as private ENUM services which use DNS to perform lookups
> and to route traffic amongst telecommunication service providers and their
> aggregators.  It is private in that to "register" or "access" private domain
> names requires connection to the "registry" through private VPN-type
> connections and cannot be viewed or accessed by the regular public.  Billions
> of transactions per day are conducted through these private ENUM systems.
> Most of the Private ENUM operators have never participated in the ICANN
> process nor do they have any intention to.
>
> However, there may be reasons that these private ENUM systems may want to be
> opened up so that public lookups, or connections through the public Internet
> are possible.  It would still essentially be a closed system, but in order to
> prevent a clash between something registered in the public root and the
> private root, it is possible that an operator of a private ENUM system may
> want a TLD in the public root.  What is important for this example is not
> that this exists today, which it does, but rather these names do not have
> websites, e-mail accounts, blogs, etc.  There is no content available to be
> viewed by the public, nor is it something a consumer ever sees.  Everything
> happens in the background invisible to the consumer.  In that circumstance,
> there would be no need for registrars, WHOIS, no need for registrar
> transfers, no resellers, no ICANN deletion policy, no UDRP, no need for an
> ICANN logo, etc.   In fact, one might argue that there is very little
> registry functionalit!
> y needed as well :)

There are also public ENUM in operation in several countries and you can do
lookups via public DNS.

I fail to see your point.

> I took your advice and re-read the RAA.  Cutting out of the legalese, the
> parts about paying ICANN its fees and the boilerplate, below is the sum total
> or protections for consumers (Reworded in short hand by me)

<snip>

You seem  to have  overlooked the "rights and responsibilities" that was
introduced in the 2009 RAA

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection