ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Composition of Working Group Members

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Composition of Working Group Members
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:50:08 -0400

Hello All:

I would just like to raise a point of concern publicly with the co-chairs.
Having tracked the recent influx of new Working Group members, aside from
the addition of Arif Aslam Kundi, the Pakistan GAC representative, it
appears that we have just been adding more of the same
demographics/viewpoints.  We now have a Working Group heavily dominated by
entities with a direct/material interest in connection with the outcome of
this Policy Development Process, myself included.

The Affirmation of Commitment specifically states:

"ICANN and DOC recognize that there is a group of participants that engage
in ICANN's processes to a greater extent than Internet users generally. To
ensure that its decisions are in the public interest, and not just the
interests of a particular set of stakeholders, ICANN commits to perform and
publish analyses of the positive and negative effects of its decisions on
the public, including any financial impact on the public, and the positive
or negative impact (if any) on the systemic security, stability and
resiliency of the DNS."

Therefore I would like to ask the Co-Chairs how they intend to approach
defining consensus within a group which lacks large blocks of stakeholders
not meaningfully participating within this Working Group.

Best regards,

Michael