ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Composition of Working Group Members

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Composition of Working Group Members
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:58:11 -0500

hi Michael,

i've got some ideas about this, but they're not quite baked yet.  i want to
hone them with Roberto and will try to get something to the list in the next
few days.

i mostly wanted to let you know that we got your message and that it hasn't
been lost in the shuffle.

thanks,

mikey

On Mar 31, 2010, at 6:50 PM, Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I would just like to raise a point of concern publicly with the co-chairs.
> Having tracked the recent influx of new Working Group members, aside from the
> addition of Arif Aslam Kundi, the Pakistan GAC representative, it appears
> that we have just been adding more of the same demographics/viewpoints.  We
> now have a Working Group heavily dominated by entities with a direct/material
> interest in connection with the outcome of this Policy Development Process,
> myself included.
>
> The Affirmation of Commitment specifically states:
>
> “ICANN and DOC recognize that there is a group of participants that engage in
> ICANN's processes to a greater extent than Internet users generally. To
> ensure that its decisions are in the public interest, and not just the
> interests of a particular set of stakeholders, ICANN commits to perform and
> publish analyses of the positive and negative effects of its decisions on the
> public, including any financial impact on the public, and the positive or
> negative impact (if any) on the systemic security, stability and resiliency
> of the DNS.”
>
> Therefore I would like to ask the Co-Chairs how they intend to approach
> defining consensus within a group which lacks large blocks of stakeholders
> not meaningfully participating within this Working Group.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356