ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?

  • To: <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?
  • From: "jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx" <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:39:48 +0200

Dear all,

I think there are many reasons why brands haven't been active in the gTLD
process.

a) Companies in general are pretty sensitive and protective about their brands
and committing to a process with unknown schedule and outcome is just too risky
b) Companies might not have been well informed about the whole gTLD process as
ICANN has only now began more wide-spread communication campaign
c) Companies might not want to get their name associated with gTLD process if
they've found new business opportunities they don't want to disclose yet

If you go through the DAG3 comments you can pretty easily find many candidates
for .brand TLDs. Let me assure you that there really is interest for Single
Registrant TLDs although it might not seem like that.  I think Richard has
already defined the Single Registrant term clearly enough in many occasions.

BR,

JARKKO RUUSKA
Nokia Corporation
Compatibility and Industry Collaboration,  Tampere, Finland
Tel: +358 50 324 7507
E-Mail: jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx