ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Zero Cross-Ownership (0CO) as an option for the group

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Zero Cross-Ownership (0CO) as an option for the group
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:58:00 -0700

I agree that zero cross ownership is an option and so is 100% cross ownership
and many others that fit in the middle. We are just in the beginning of trying
to decide as a group what that result could be.
Yes, the Board decision is the default position, there is no doubt there, I am
not even sure why that is a debate.

What is surprising to me is what I am hearing on this WG from people who have
been involved in ICANN for so long and who are the big believers in the bottom
up consensus policy process.  If my issue is not addressed then we end this WG,
pack up and go home. Or that in the first 2 weeks of the WG I have not heard or
see the benefits of cross-ownership, so we should forget about cross ownership.

We have still not heard everyone's proposals or even let this working group
start working. May I suggest we give people some breathing room and give them a
chance to gather their thoughts and work together before we decide what our
result should be.

Thanks

Jeff