ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal

  • To: "'Jon Nevett'" <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:55:08 -0400

Jon,

Let me start with your last question about defining market share. Personally
I am in full agreement. As noted in my email to Richard, the group seriously
considered pulling the 40% absolute bar from the proposal because of the
difficulties in defining market share and ICANN's lack of expertise in this
area. The fact that most of the comments (3) have raised similar questions
would probably reinforce our leaning toward removing this absolute bar as
stated in the footnote. However, we wanted to seek feedback from the entire
community before making that change.

With regard to your first question which is a little more complex. These
were the principles that formed the basis of this proposal. First we are not
asking for an advisory opinion from a competition agency. In is my
understanding that within the context of the US DoJ, the do not give "green
lights" to proposed deals, they just "red light" potential enforcement
actions. I/we are looking into the standard that the DG-IV employs because
the group appreciates the need to NOT be US centric in our approach.

Second, without breaching any fiduciary obligations from my time on the
ICANN Board, I can tell you that the VeriSign .COM contract was reviewed by
the US Government, and the funnel request that now appears in every gTLD
registry agreement provides a mechanism, e.g. "ICANN shall refer the issue
to the appropriate governmental competition authority or authorities with
jurisdiction." Therefore, if there is no mechanism to handle referrals from
ICANN, than the community has a much bigger problem on its hands.

Third, the fact that ICANN experts proposed a similar referral mechanism we
assumed (yes a very dangerous thing) that this should be ok. While the
Salop/Wright proposal only recommended sending a small subset to the
competition agencies for review, we did take an initial more expansive view.
Recognizing that more expansive view and how that might over load the
competition agency, that is one of the reasons why the proposal for ICANN to
forward any comments it received in connection with the public forum was
proposed. Therefore to use a scenario that Richard is probably most
concerned with, if a registry with zero market share proposes to use an
affiliated registrar, and the ICANN public comment forum has only a small
handful of comments, I do not see a competition agency needing a very large
time frame to make a determine if any enforcement action (red light) is
necessary.

With regard to time lines. It is my understanding that when mergers are
submitted to the DoJ (sorry for the US centric approach we are trying to
review DG-IV guidelines for our any revised/final proposal) their initial
review window is 30 days (we have proposed 45). The DoJ then has 30 days
after the last response to their subpoenas in which to take further "red
light" enforcement action. We figured doubling that time frame was
appropriate since this was kind of new subject matter for the person that
might be receiving these submissions from ICANN. Again based upon my
understanding of DoJ enforcement actions, if there is serious concern about
the proposed merger, the parties (company and competition authority) will
enter into an agreement to extend the review period. A driving factor in the
approach we took was to keep ICANN out of these competition areas in which
it lacked the requisite expertise and to allow the experts to handle these
bigger questions, just like no one on this list would go to an economist to
have their DNS configured for a DNSSEC implementation :-)

Hopefully this has answered all of your questions. Again these are my own
personal interpretations, and I will defer to my fellow Team MMA members to
offer any of their personal insight/opinion. I would also like to personally
thank my fellow Team MMA members for their close scrutiny of the proposal
prior to publication which makes answering these questions a whole hell of a
lot easier :-)

Best regards,

Michael Palage