ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal

  • To: "'Richard Tindal'" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:10:25 -0400

Richard,

As I tried to elaborate in my response to Jon, we were not really trying to
make up a new process, but just use an existing mechanism that has been in
the RSEP for the last 5 years, e.g. "ICANN shall refer the issue to the
appropriate governmental competition authority or authorities with
jurisdiction.". Perhaps it would be best to queue this question up for ICANN
legal counsel who will be on the call today, as hopefully they would be able
to provide an answer to a provision that has been in a contract they
executed over five years ago and have entered into with around 15 gTLD
registry operators.

However, this raises a very valid concern. If ICANN's legal department
cannot provide any level of specificity with regard to how national
competition agencies are consulted in connection with funnel requests within
the 15 existing gTLDs, do we really want to add another 400 and then try to
figure out the problem. I raise this question NOT to slow down the new gTLD
process, but to request that ICANN provide some specific guidance on how
these matters are processed so that the Working Group can proceed with its
work.

With regard to your initial question, yes most would be referred to their
national competition authority, and yes I doubt few if any would give rise
to any type of enforcement action.

Best regards,

Michael Palage

P.S. Question to the co-chairs any response from ICANN in connection with
the previous questions that we asked?