ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal - Tindal question 4

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal - Tindal question 4
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:04:54 -0400

While CORE doesn't have a monopoly on linguistic or cultural
applicants, we do have actual applications, for which the 15% cap
provides a solution satisfactory to the respective communities.

Additionally, as many linguistic or cultural applicants have a
substantial interest, as future registry operators, in constructive
relations with one or more ccTLD operators, and with other, similarly
situated linguistic or cultural applicants as registry operators, the
alleged superiority of registrar exclusion is an argument probably
made without regard to the complete context of inter-registry
cooperation, indigenous, traditional and trademark intellectual
property rights management, Recommendation 19 consistent access for
ccTLD registrars, and the advantages of greatest commonality of
technical and policy resources.

As a registry back end services provider, if we ever did run into a
proto-applicant who insisted on no-shared-anything with other
linguistic and cultural applications, we'd have to consider whether
they were worth our time, even at one-off pricing. I'm not saying it
can't happen, just that in the six years since we floated .cat, no
serious community representative has come to us asking for ".cat, but
in outer space, in an orbit of its own, with no near neighbors, a
cyber Easter Island."

I understand exploiting linguistic and cultural applicants as
rationals for single-registrant as a policy advocacy position, but
upon review the rational appears slim, to the point of difficult to
actually identify.

Eric