ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:34:48 -0400

I agree that the 15% limit is arbitrary and did not originally support putting
it into this joint proposal at all. However given the existence of contracts
that already have this limit in there, it made some sense ("level playing
field") to make it the starting point. I was operating under the assumption
that basically anyone who applies for any higher cross-ownership share -
including 100% - would be granted that unless they have more than 40% market
share and/or the competition authorities see a problem. So I didn't see 15% as
a deal breaker.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org