ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal

  • To: <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal
  • From: "Kathy Kleiman" <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:57:52 -0400

Dear Thomas,
The points you make below are very valid, and I believe we agree on them -- so
something must be getting lost in my translation of our Proposal. Let me give
it a try again, and I'll clarify in the expanded version to come.

First, the default model, which we have entitled the "Main Model" posits that
the vast majority of new gTLDs will work in the traditional way: that the new
gTLD Registries, from the start, must use ICANN-Accredited Registrars for the
sale of their domain names. That's the model today, and it well serves
Registrars, large and small (as you point out), as well as the entire Internet
community.

In our proposal, there is no threshold cap for gTLDs falling under the "Main
Model," and no minimum number of registrations which a new gTLD Registry may
claim for itself to register. From the get-go, the new gTLD Registry must sell
its domain names through ICANN-Accredited Registrars -- from registration
number one. (Main Model, Section I). Like you, we feel this is critically
important.

However, there are a few exceptions which we intend, as did the Registry
Constituency in its Supermajority Position, to be narrowly-tailored, and
frankly few and far between. They are the Single Registrant and Community TLDs
and in our proposal, unlike others we have seen, if these gTLDs are successful
and register a large number of domain names then they effectively "age out" of
their exception -- and are required to switch to the Main Model and distribute
their gTLDs through ICANN-Accredited Registrars. That's for precisely the
reasons you outline below about the importance of Registars.

It's the Orphan TLD that, admittedly, is a little more difficult to explain.
This category arises from discussions with registrars, and the knowledge that
no registrars must carry a gTLD. Registrars need not sell any gTLD, and we
absolutely do not want to change that. BUT, what if no registrar wants to sell
a new gTLD? What if only one or two registrars in the world are willing to sell
it? In that case, shouldn't the new gTLD Registry be allowed to sell its domain
names itself - at least until more Registrars want to carry it?

We say yes, but only if the "Orphan gTLD" Registry truly can prove its case to
ICANN -- that it has tried hard and failed to find Registars. And even here,
the Orphan gTLD will lose its special status at a fixed low number, 50,000, at
which point, one trusts that Registrars will see that registrants are
interested and want to offer it. At that point, the gTLD Registry must work
through ICANN-Accredited Registrars. But this exception ensures that no gTLD
dies for lack of a way to reach registrants.

Thomas, as I read your email, our goals and concerns are very much the same. We
want to get new gTLDs from Registries to ICANN-Accredited Registrars to
registrants around the world and to the many different communities who will be
seeking these domain names. I hope I have outlined our path a little bit
better.

Best,
Kathy