ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal

  • To: Kathy Kleiman <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:08:41 +0000

On 13 Apr 2010, at 03:57, Kathy Kleiman wrote:

> Dear Thomas,
> The points you make below are very valid, and I believe we agree on them --
> so something must be getting lost in my translation of our Proposal. Let me
> give it a try again, and I'll clarify in the expanded version to come.
>
> First, the default model, which we have entitled the "Main Model" posits that
> the vast majority of new gTLDs will work in the traditional way: that the new
> gTLD Registries, from the start, must use ICANN-Accredited Registrars for the
> sale of their domain names. That's the model today, and it well serves
> Registrars, large and small (as you point out), as well as the entire
> Internet community.
>
> In our proposal, there is no threshold cap for gTLDs falling under the "Main
> Model," and no minimum number of registrations which a new gTLD Registry may
> claim for itself to register. From the get-go, the new gTLD Registry must
> sell its domain names through ICANN-Accredited Registrars -- from
> registration number one. (Main Model, Section I). Like you, we feel this is
> critically important.
>
> However, there are a few exceptions which we intend, as did the Registry
> Constituency in its Supermajority Position, to be narrowly-tailored, and
> frankly few and far between. They are the Single Registrant and Community
> TLDs and in our proposal, unlike others we have seen, if these gTLDs are
> successful and register a large number of domain names then they effectively
> "age out" of their exception -- and are required to switch to the Main Model
> and distribute their gTLDs through ICANN-Accredited Registrars. That's for
> precisely the reasons you outline below about the importance of Registars.
>
> It's the Orphan TLD that, admittedly, is a little more difficult to explain.
> This category arises from discussions with registrars, and the knowledge that
> no registrars must carry a gTLD. Registrars need not sell any gTLD, and we
> absolutely do not want to change that. BUT, what if no registrar wants to
> sell a new gTLD? What if only one or two registrars in the world are willing
> to sell it? In that case, shouldn't the new gTLD Registry be allowed to sell
> its domain names itself - at least until more Registrars want to carry it?

Kathy

This "orphan" concept is an odd one.

If nobody wants to sell a TLD then surely it would not meet the criteria in the
DAG to be allowed in the first place?

I don't have the latest draft in front of me, but I have recollections of there
being certain criteria expected of any proposed TLD

Also, if the TLD cannot attract ANY registrars there's probably a very good
reason for that ..

Regards

Michele

> We say yes, but only if the "Orphan gTLD" Registry truly can prove its case
> to ICANN -- that it has tried hard and failed to find Registars. And even
> here, the Orphan gTLD will lose its special status at a fixed low number,
> 50,000, at which point, one trusts that Registrars will see that registrants
> are interested and want to offer it. At that point, the gTLD Registry must
> work through ICANN-Accredited Registrars. But this exception ensures that no
> gTLD dies for lack of a way to reach registrants.
>
> Thomas, as I read your email, our goals and concerns are very much the same.
> We want to get new gTLDs from Registries to ICANN-Accredited Registrars to
> registrants around the world and to the many different communities who will
> be seeking these domain names. I hope I have outlined our path a little bit
> better.
>
> Best,
> Kathy

Mr Michele Neylon