ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal

  • To: "'Michele Neylon :: Blacknight'" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Kleiman <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:48:00 -0400

Michele:

> If nobody wants to sell a TLD then surely it would not meet the
> criteria in the DAG to be allowed in the first place?

Are you implying that the ICANN process can predict with 100% (even 50%)
accuracy what demand for registration services exists in the market? Are you
suggesting that ICANN's new TLD approval process is designed to pick winners?
If so, I believe you are fundamentally incorrect about the nature and purpose
of the new TLD program. The DAG is designed to establish eligibility for an
assignment, not to vet TLDs for market success. It allows new ideas to enter a
market and compete for success, it is not intended to prejudge whether the
ideas are successful.

> Also, if the TLD cannot attract ANY registrars there's probably a very
> good reason for that ..

The reasons should be obvious: it is too small and therefore not profitable
enough for a mass-registration oriented registrar to worry about. Especially
when there are 200 new TLDs to worry about.