ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Innovative Proposal
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:08:38 +0000

On 13 Apr 2010, at 19:48, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Michele:
>
>> If nobody wants to sell a TLD then surely it would not meet the
>> criteria in the DAG to be allowed in the first place?
>
> Are you implying that the ICANN process can predict with 100% (even 50%)
> accuracy what demand for registration services exists in the market? Are you
> suggesting that ICANN's new TLD approval process is designed to pick winners?
> If so, I believe you are fundamentally incorrect about the nature and purpose
> of the new TLD program. The DAG is designed to establish eligibility for an
> assignment, not to vet TLDs for market success. It allows new ideas to enter
> a market and compete for success, it is not intended to prejudge whether the
> ideas are successful.
>
>> Also, if the TLD cannot attract ANY registrars there's probably a very
>> good reason for that ..
>
> The reasons should be obvious: it is too small and therefore not profitable
> enough for a mass-registration oriented registrar to worry about. Especially
> when there are 200 new TLDs to worry about.

Milton

I don't disagree with you.

However if someone is going to go to the bother of investing in launching a new
TLD I would assume that they'd have done enough market research to see if
anyone actually wanted domains in that string / community.

Not all registrars are gigantic, so I don't see any reason why, if I re-use my
.gael example, an Irish registrar wouldn't want to offer the TLD if they felt
that people were going to "buy in" to the idea. Success is not always going to
be measured purely in numbers.

Of course I'm not suggesting that ICANN or anyone else can predict accurately
how successful anything will be :)

Could any of us have predicted the success of the iPhone?

I couldn't have predicted a year ago that I'd be sending you an email using an
Apple Mac  today :)

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon