ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal - MMA

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Joint Proposal - MMA
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:22:39 +1000

MMA,

Thanks for the briefing last night.

The more I think about the 'competition referral' portion of your proposal the
more difficulties I'm having with it   (this is the piece where applicants who
want more than 15% cross ownership submit a written request -- which is then
subject to public comment and competition authority analysis) .      I
understand the concept behind it,  but I'm struggling with the practicality of
implementing it.

To give new TLD applicants predictability in the process (Implementation
Guideline 1) this competition referral would have to happen before the TLD
application window opens.  I think we agreed that last night.

The public and the competition authority will not be able to make informed
comments or judgements unless the applicant's written request contains a
reasonable amount of detail.  I think the request would have to include the
applicant's full ownership details, business plan and intended string.
Without that information I don't think the public or the competition authority
could make a meaningful analysis.

Given that, we would be putting applicants in the position of revealing
sensitive data prior to the application window opening.  For example,  another
party could see the request and decide to also apply for the string.

Was it your intention that applicants would have to prematurely reveal their
plans?  Or do you see a way around this problem?

RT