ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Innovative Proposal - Jeff E response

  • To: "'gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Innovative Proposal - Jeff E response
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:09:23 -0700

Kathy,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I need to point out that by rephrasing my
questions you still have avoided the direct question of "what are the dangers
of having cross ownership to the security and stability of the internet?"

However, I think I do understand your response. Let me try to break it down
here and hopefully make some sense.

I believe your position can be summarized as follows:

Registries are in a privileged, exclusive position and the goals of a Registry
are the Security and Stability of the TLD and the Internet. That is the special
position that PIR and other Registries hold.

The group of Registrars that have been finding 'bold and innovative ways to
connect with people' are not really capable of accomplishing these goals of the
Registries and maintain the integrity of the TLD. Given any opportunity these
Registrars will probably do bad things and harm this system that works, so we
need to maintain separation to make sure Registrars only deal with registrants,
not the important stuff that Registries deal with.

I hope you see how insulting this is to existing Registrars, even the ones who
have no interest in Cross Ownership or VI. PIR is OK having Registrars
represent them to the public by selling their product and growing their
business, but these same Registrars do not have the integrity to operate a
Registry nor could they understand the complexity of the operations a Registry
runs.

Putting the wounded pride aside, I do have a question on this same topic. Do
you believe that if PIR owned a Registrar, which is what my proposal allows,
that you would use that data to harm consumers ? That PIR would game the system
for its own benefit?

What if there was a structural separation and very strict controls and audits,
but their was cross ownership, would PIR look to work around the wall and
perpetuate consumer harms ?

I do not think that PIR would and that is one of the main issues I have with
your position. You are assuming a presumption of evil and bad deeds if there is
cross ownership, something that I hope we could move past.

I would prefer we focus on the benefits (and drawbacks, if any) of cross
ownership to consumers while maintaining the integrity and stability that is
needed.

Jeff Eckhaus