ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Please Answer Jeff's Questions (new thread)

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Please Answer Jeff's Questions (new thread)
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:40:46 +0200

Hey Mike,

Time zone differences and the high level of activity on this list means that
generally, by the time I come to follow up on a thread, any point I could make
has already become moot.

In this case, I see that Mikey has already posted to the list the summary of
the conversation we had with Kurt on the leaders' call yesterday. So I don't
think there's really any more I can add to what I and others who seem to be on
the same wavelength (Avri, Jeff E., Milton) have said.

But just in case you feel this is a cop-out, let me just re-state that I don't
think the fact we didn't get answers to our questions from the Board should
prevent us as a WG from forging ahead to propose a consensus solution to the VI
issue. Once again, I think the Board has cleverly put the pressure on the
community (i.e. us) to come up with a solution, while at the same time cutting
short any possibility for further to-and-froing from all the different sides in
this debate.

From what Kurt told us, Staff will interpret the Nairobi Board resolution for
DAGv4. But, and this is my own opinion now, we as a WG shouldn't even try to.
We should just concentrate on our own solution. Whether the Board says black in
its resolution shouldn't influence us one way or another to say white, or grey.

That is what I understand the Board's message, as relayed by Kurt, to be. And
that is why I think it is a very useful message for this group, if only we can
hear it.

Thanks,

Stéphane