ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:20:29 +0200

Jarkko/ Tero,

One of the options in my May 19 posting involves no cost or complexity.  The
desired names would simply be added to the registry contract Schedule of
Reserved Names.

If ICANN staff said that option was not permitted  (note:  I do not know why
they would say that -- as registries currently reserve operational names)  then
the incremental cost of registering 1,000 (say) names through an unaffiliated
registrar would be in the order of a few hundred dollars per year.

It is true this would mean reviewing the registrar's agreement --- but your
lawyers will spend at least that much time reviewing RAA provisions if you
become your own registrar.    Plus, there are additional costs operating as
your own registrar.

Overall, it seems you'll have more cost going down the path you want.

I welcome push back on this --  but I'm not seeing a cost-based reason for the
exception you want.

RT