ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] new version of the proposal matrix

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] new version of the proposal matrix
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:54:14 +0200

Dear Jeff,

you make a very good case of showing how a blanket limitation of CO will hurt the entire process. Add to this the fact that it will have no effect on any of the harms put forth so far, and you have a scenario of a severe protection of the position of incumbents at the cost of competition, variety and consumer interest.

In many cases, local registrars have even been asked by local governments if they would not be willing to set up and run a registry for that local community, especially if no other provider within that community is readily available to provide this service. Under the Afilias proposal, these community TLDs will be forced to either seek a provider outside the local community, thereby weakening the community concept, or abandon their interest in a local TLD for the time being. I made this point a while back with a fictional .bankkok but any local area or community will have the same problem. They will need or want a registry from within their community or closeby, as well as a registrar able to serve that community. Forcing them to band up with 6 other registries from across the globe just to form a registrar willing to sell their local TLD does not help to serve the local community.

Best,

Volker

I was curious about your position and your feeling that the Afilias proposal preserves a competitive environment in developing countries. As a somewhat vocal member of this group many of the Registrars from developing and non-US countries have come to me asking me for updates on the group since they are concerned that they will not be able to start a localized Registry in their countries. Like you, they also believe that competition is non-existent and as Registrars they are the most qualified and most able to start up a Registry in their home countries and serve local entities who want to apply for a TLD. Some of the public ones are Registry ASP in Malaysia and GMO Internet in Japan who have TLD applicants in their home country but will not be able to compete with the current Afilias proposal. They feel that their markets will continue to be underserved as the only available options will US based companies like VeriSign, Neustar and Afilias if the 15% number is agreed to.

To be clear these are not community TLDs or SR TLDs but companies from non-English speaking countries who would like to start a TLD and would like to use a local Registry in their pursuit of a gTLD. How do we serve these people as well when the 15% number in the Afilias proposal blocks out Registrars from starting a Registry to compete?

Regards,

Jeff Eckhaus