ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] a starter-list of Harms

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] a starter-list of Harms
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:50:32 +0200

Hi Eric,

is this really new, or a harm only posed by registrars acting as RSPs?

I have seen multiple proposed applications brought in spite of prior long-running applications for those string brought not by registrars, but by non-registrars.

I will name just a few examples: .berlin, .bayern, .nyc, .sport(s)

While I agree that "taking inspiration" from existing initiatives may be undesirable, this is nothing that has _anything_ to do with CO or VI.

While in your case the copycat was a registrar, this has nothing to do with his being solicited as RSP, but rather with his gaining knowledge of the applications and liking the idea. It could have been any interested party. It is a matter that should have been dealt with an NDA between you and your list of potential RSPs. Frankly, you are proposing a harm in this WG that is not even remotely related to our purpose.

Volker

A novel harm came to my attention two days ago.

I have sent pointers to an RFI recently published by a potential
applicant, one with a public and governmental record that goes back to
at least 2002, and is seeking to submit two community-based
applications, one for a Latin Script string, one for a non-Latin
Script string.

My mailing list is quite ad hoc and simply is the RSPs I thought
likely to be interested in competing for the eventual RFP and includes
one or more ICANN accredited registrars I believe seek to enter the
gTLD RSP market.

A registrar first responded to my mail with a statement that it had
submitted a response to the RFI -- as a candidate RSP. Fine and dandy.

The next day the registrar responded again -- that it was going to
submit applications for one or both of the same Latin and non-Latin
Scripts strings. Not so fine and dandy.

This is illustrative of the point I tried to make a few days earlier
in a note addressed to someone else on this list -- are registrars
necessary sources of inspiration for new gTLDs?

The act of soliciting bids for an RSP -- of disclosing a community
likely to be the base of a sustainable or better pool of registrants
-- has created a string contention contest, a comparative evaluation
contest, and assuming each looks to alternate basis for a dispositive
claim of right, accumulations of governmental and community
institutional expressions of support and expressions of division, and
auction risk capital.

Abstractly, registrars seeking to maximize the ROI in RO acquisition
are very distinct from communities overlooked by the use of iso3166 as
the scaling mechanism selected by Jon Postel the second time he
reduced the workload of the root's zones editor.

The problem is trivially solved by ICANN alone by extending the sense
of iso3166, or by constructive engagement with the iso3166MA
(Maintenance Agency) to the same or a similar end. Of course, this
hasn't happened in a decade.

Absent that, we have the example of registrar targeting of community
based applications, for ROI maximization motives, with the outcome of
converting stand-alone, or RSP served community-based gTLDs and their
registrants into a rental property of a, other than profits,
disinterested party.

I suggest that not only is there the problem Tim has pointed out, of
ensuring that exception claims are not empty formalisms intended to
allow the combined RO-RR entity to capture high-value names, but also
of ensuring that the comparative evaluation threshold for the
dispositive protection community-based applications are intended to
provide are not so high as to make large communities impossible to
prevent from award by auction to the highest bidder.

Incidently, in this specific instance, the party which published the
RFI did not indicate that it anticipated seeking an exception to
Recommendation 19, though there is a relative paucity of ICANN
accredited registrars currently serving the legacy gTLD interests of
this community.

Eric