ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Short-term schedule

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Short-term schedule
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 20:28:58 +0200

Avri,

> i still see us with split support of two primary positions
> with a bunch of minority opinions that are pretty much
> languishing on the edges because those who have accepted the
> bigger positions just don't want to hear from them anymore.
> can't blame them, but it is not my understanding of how the
> process succeeds.   Minorities will often accept a majority
> position when they are sure they have been heard, understood
> and considered.  Otherwise they just feel burnt.

Personally, I share my co-chair's feeling that it would be pretty unlikely
that we will magically coalesce around one proposal in the next three weeks,
either one coming from Brussels or one of the original ones (this latter
case being even less likely).
So, either we are able to work on the differences, and smooth them out, one
by one, or we will have little chance of succeeding in producing something
meaningful.

There seems to me to be a couple of cases on which I sense some agreement,
although the devil is in the details, and I would like to launch the idea of
analysing them more.
I am taliking about some "exceptions" to a baseline "vertical separation",
and namely the cases of SRSU and niche TLDs.
Even the supporters of vertical separation admit that these cases could be
considered exceptions, although the general fear is that these situations
could be gamed. So, while we continue working on building consensus on a
full proposal, can we, in parallel, try to define which safeguards could be
applied so that gaming on SRSU and/or niche (i.e. local, cultural, etc.)
TLDs be reduced to a level that makes everybody comfortable? We have the
benefit of having ICANN Compliance on this list in the next few weeks, so we
might try to make proposals that could be checked for enforceability (sp?).

I'll launch a couple of new threads in minutes, before the call. If these
threads die out, I have a living proof that it was a bad idea. If people add
to it, we might end up in having something workable.

Cheers,
Roberto