ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] call for agenda items -- 5-July call

  • To: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] call for agenda items -- 5-July call
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:29:58 -0400

Jothan,

While our charter is just VI policy development for new gTLDs, if we were making the smallest rule to remove the largest opposition to any new gTLDs, it would be sensible to consider an absolute ban on the registration of marks of any kind in standard registries and limitations to community-based registries of marks held by members of the respective communities.

Rules that leave .com unchanged, and don't encourage the .com-ization of new gTLDs, seem at least as attractive as rules that leave .com unchanged and are indifferent to, or encourage, the .com-ization of new gTLDs.

Imagine never having to read another "kill all the kittens" letter from the International Olympic Committee or the Bank of America or any of the other corporate idiots. All we'd have left would be the job security seeking white collar welfare types whining about security and child porn and cyber war and ... "decency and morality".

You are correct to point to the size of the bribe sought, but we get more bang for the buck if we forgo Sunrise all together -- at an indefinite offset into the unbounded future, and can start more offering choices to DNS users.

Marks stay in CNOBIEu... Verisign should be happy. The IPC should be happy. The USG should be happy. Domainers should be happy. A few sharp guyz and galz should be unhappy, which should make the Board happy...

So I understand the motivation, but it is really a bribe to covertly develop a IPC blue plate special and call it competition policy.

Have a nice weekend, it was nice seeing you again in Bruxelles.

Eric