ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:56:42 -0400

Hi,

Thanks for the response, but it brings up more questions.

I am wondering about the following under you definition of complete control as
you defined it and "given to an employee for self-expression"

for example, i have one name that i use purely for listing papers and other
academic stuff i want to make available.  This could be likened to a company
second level that had been given to an employee for work purpose - an archive
of my papers and FOSS code for a particular product sold/supported by .brand.

but, as i do now with my academic site, occasionally, i need to post something
quickly so someone can see something, or grab something and i use this academic
site for that purpose.  now i could do this even if my employer had given this
to me purely for posting work items - for example those updates i made on FOSS
code supported by the company i worked for.

so this would not be a domain name given for free expression, but i might have
a laissez faire boss who gave it to me for a specific work purpose and who can
tell me to take down anything he doesn't like but who does not mind the
occasional public service announcement i put on it.  is this still a SRSU in
your definition - it is, in a a sense, completely controlled.

also how does completely controlled extend to the 3rd level.  e.g. if i have
activitst.branded-ngo under the complete control of the Famous Brand NGO and i
want to give a third level name to every activist we support with funding would
that be ok under SRSU?

a.