ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:04:41 -0400

Hi,

In general I agree with you about the public interest and the multiplicity of
registrars.

Where i think it turns out to be against the public interest is in the case of
the IDN GTLD,  where there may be no qualified registrar - or the only
registrar-equivalent may be the ccTLD or a reseller for the ccTLD.  in this
case, the public interest seems to be suppressed by the requirements for a
ICANN accredited registrar.  In the early phases a lot of the IDN efforts will
be boot strap efforts, as in puling oneself up by, and such regulations may
indeed stymy their entry.

While I accept that same reasoning my also apply to the non IDN GTLD that may
be orphaned, I think the real hard case is for IDN where very few registrars
support very few IDN scripts

Speaking of which: is there a list anywhere of which scripts/languages are
supported by which registrars?

a.