ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:59:25 +0200

Hi Avri,

I agree that equal access may not come into place in some cases of VI (which is the solution to the problem you are describing), where no other registrars will pick up the TLD but the VI entity. Equal access in my view does not mean equal access as a necessity, but opportunity to equal access as a requirement. In other words, while equal access must be offered by VI or CO entities, and will be enforced by ICANN, if no other registrar requests such access, a registry/registrar may be able to sell the TLD alone.

I do not believe a list such as you suggest is available at this time, nor is it needed.

Volker

In general I agree with you about the public interest and the multiplicity of
registrars.

Where i think it turns out to be against the public interest is in the case of
the IDN GTLD,  where there may be no qualified registrar - or the only
registrar-equivalent may be the ccTLD or a reseller for the ccTLD.  in this
case, the public interest seems to be suppressed by the requirements for a
ICANN accredited registrar.  In the early phases a lot of the IDN efforts will
be boot strap efforts, as in puling oneself up by, and such regulations may
indeed stymy their entry.

While I accept that same reasoning my also apply to the non IDN GTLD that may be orphaned, I think the real hard case is for IDN where very few registrars support very few IDN scripts
Speaking of which: is there a list anywhere of which scripts/languages are
supported by which registrars?

a.