ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised SRSU draft text

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised SRSU draft text
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:55:34 -0400

1.  Very little of this text is actually new.  Most of it was
distributed to the WG 2 months ago or earlier this week.

2.  There's no endorsement intended.  It's indisputable that the IPC has
put forward the most detailed SRSU exception proposal, and the so-called
"implementation details" are essential elements of the .brand exception
it has proposed.   We all know that putting the details in the appendix
means that most people outside the VI WG won't read them - although they
will certainly comment on it.  (Some of the most vocal opponents of the
IRT recommendations at the Sydney meeting admitted - either directly or
indirectly by displaying complete ignorance of key points - by the Seoul
meeting that they hadn't actually read the report.)  It's important to
avoid that situation again as it undermines the confidence in the
process by those who don't spend as much time in ICANNland as we all do.
It also undermines all of the work that all of us have done on the WG.
I intentionally relegated them to a footnote so that they were easily
accessible, but not given the prominence of "regular text" inclusion.
If the "implementation details" are deleted from this proposal, then
they should be deleted from all of the other proposals too.  In that
case, look for my redline.

3.  I have no objection to someone who opposes an SRSU exception
providing generally representative text (e.g, Critics of the SRSU
exception . . . .).  Just don't expect me to write it.  I'm too far
behind from being out of the office for 4 days.

4. Everyone on the WG who has put forward some iteration of SRSU has had
at least a week to send me text that they wanted included.  I haven't
received a word.  I also still haven't read the Initial Report (let's
not forget that it was circulated only a few days ago - when I was in
the middle of the Atlantic Ocean without Internet access).  If there's
text re: SRSU in other proposals that can be copied over or
incorporated, I have no problem with that.